For this month's "Home Baker's Challenge" started by "Priya Suresh" , Rafeeda of "The Big Sweet tooth" throwed us a challenge on "Arabic Bakes". Arabic bakes includes rich desserts anyd cakes. Out of the list, "Arabic date and honey cake", grabbed my attention. As it had a uniue procees of pouring syrup over uncooked cake and bake. This step simply awed me. So thought of giving it a try. Thought the recipe itself called for 1/2 cup flour, I halved the recipe and used 1/4 cup flour. Now I regret for the halving,because it tasted so heavenly, and the cake got over soon. Rohith to me "Mom, this is the best cake ,you ever did. When we open a bakery, this cake should be there in the menu". I was in cloud nine. Within few minutes, 3/4 th of the cake vanished.The cake was melt in mouth type. The syrup got through the cake and made it utterly moist and fluffy. I kept a piece outside for the next day. It stayed moist still. I would highly recommend this cake for anyone. Would be perfect for any party as a dessert.
Prep time 10 mins
Cook time 20 mins
Total time 30 mins
Author: The Wanderlust Kitchen
For the cake:
* 3 tbsp oil
* 1 1/2 eggs
* 2 tbsp. brown sugar
* 2 tbsp. white sugar
* 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
* 1/4 tsp. baking powder
* 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
* 1 tsp butter for greasing
For the topping:
* 1/4 c. butter
* 2 tbsp. white sugar
* 2 tbsp brown sugar
* 3 tbsp. honey
* 1/4 c. slivered almonds
* 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
* 5 whole, pitted dates
Method:* Pre heat the oven to 400 degrees Farenhiet .Grease a 6 " pan. Place a parchment circle on it and grease the parchment with butter again. Cut a strip of parchment and line it to the sides of the pan. If you feel ,lot of work, just use a spring pan.I didn't had small spring pan ,so used a normal pan.Because, we are going to pour syrup on top of the cake, when it still baking the oven. This will make the cake to stick to the pan. Using parchment paper, will avoid those mess.
* Take 2 eggs, beat them well. Remove 2 tbsp of egg from the mixture.Now our 1 1/2 egg is ready.Take a pan, add egg,sugar and brown sugar. Beat them well for atleast 5 minutes or till it is pale yellow and creamy.Add vanilla and stir.
* Add baking powder to the flour and mix it. Now sprinkle the flour in 2 additions. Let the batter be lump free.Add oil at the end and mix. Since I ran out of butter ,replaced with 3 tbsp of oil. Adding oil, has made the cake so fluffy and light.
* Mean while, take a pan, add butter and melt it.Now add sugar,brown sugar ,honey and stir. The syrup will turn creamy.At last add cinnamon powder .
* When the cake is golden brown on outside, but still uncooked inside,Approximately after 10 minutes of baking, pour the hot syrup on top of the cake.The syrup will penetrate into the cake and to its sides.The cake, would have beautifully absorbed the syrup.
A simple and melt in mouth cake . I would highly recommend to anyone !!!
* I have halved the original recipe. So used a 6 inch cake pan. If you have a spring pan, it will work perfect.
* Bake the cake,with the syrup for 10 minutes or untill the cake turns brown. Don't bake so long, then the cake will become hard.
* I have replaced butter with oil, it gave a lighter texture to the cake.
* We can store the cake on counter for 2 days, but I bet it will get over within minutes.