Next in the "Kid's special - Fast food" theme, french fries hits the first place. Whenever we go out, there are two thing we buy for kids. They are chicken nuggets and french fries. Rohith and Ashwath will happily munch on these.French fries were in my to do list for almost 6 years. Yeah you are reading it right. When I started cooking, this was in my list always.Some how, I skipped the deep frying process for long. But after preparing this , I some how reduced the avertion towards frying. Kids enjoy the most. So I have no other option.
1.Potato - 2 (big)
2.Oil - for frying
3.Salt - to taste
4.Pepper powder - to taste
* Wash and peel the potatoes. Cut them into strips as shown in the picture. Leave the potato strips in the water for atleast 3 hours or over night.This step is very essential in getting a crispy french fries and avoid the fries to become soggy. This will remove the starch from the potatoes.Strain the potatoe strips and pat it dry on paper towels.
* Let the potato strips stay in the paper towel, till it looses all its moisture.Mean while, heat a heavy bottomed - wide pan with 2 inch of oil. Heat till it is medium hot. Approximately 300 degrees Farenhiet.Drop the potato strips in small batches. Fry them , till they are half cooked. Remove them and keep it on a paper towel.
* I have used rousset potato, you can use any potato, good for chips.
* Don't cut the potatoes thinly, then the fries will become crisp.
* While frying, make sure that the potatoes doesn't have any moisture,while frying.
* Don't fry the potatoes so much, then it will become crisps.
* Always remove the starch from the potatoes. This is an essential step in getting a crispy french fry.
Geethaa Achal" and "Savitha Ramesh"