This month we are running a series on "Kids favourite - Fast food " theme.When I think of fast food, doughnuts came to my mind ,as we always buy doughnuts for Rohith, from Krispy Kreme.
Doughnuts are my son's favourite. He loves the Kris kreme doughnuts to the core. When I was searching for the recipe, this website caught my eyes. The steps were so easy and there were so many reviews about the doughnuts. So many people has tried the doughnuts and posted thier pictures. These urged me to prepre the doughnuts immediately.
I quartered the recipe, as it will be too much for my family. I also made small doughnuts , so that it ill be easy for my kids. We fell to this recipe completely. I made batches and batches. Tried some plain glaze and chocolate glaze. Bothe were very good. Doughnuts taste too good, when thery are warm.So whenever needed, pop them in the mmicrowave for 10 - 2 0seconds and your doughnuts are ready.
Preparation time : 10 minutes
Proofing time : 1 hr and 30 minutes
Cooking time : 20 minutes
Yield : 20 doughnuts
1.Flour - 1 3/4 cup + 2 tbsp
2.Egg - 1
3.Sugar - 3 tbp
4.Water - 2 tbsp
5.Yeast - 1 tsp (5 gm)
6.Milk - 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp
7.Butter - 2 tbsp ( at room temperature)
8.Salt - a pinch
9.Sprinkles - 1/4 cup (optional )
For the chocolate glaze :
1.Chocolates - 1/2 cup
2.Buttrer - 2 tbsp
3.Corn syrup - 1 tbsp
For the sugar glaze:
1.Confectioner sugar - 1 1/2 cup
2.Water or milk - 3 to 4 tbsp
3.Vanilla extract - 2 tsp
* Take flour,sugar,salt,crumbled butter and beaten egg in a mixing bowl. If you are using rapid rise yeast, then just add it to the bowl. If you are using dry instant yeast, then dissolve it in a cup of warm water. When the yeast foams up, add it to the bowl.Heat the milk in microwave or on a stove top for 30 seconds. This is called scalding. It destroys the bacteria ,which hinders the proofing process. Cool the milk, till it is warm.Now add it to the bowl and knead. The dough should be soft .If it is sticky, no issues.
* Punch down the air from the dough.Dust the work space with flour. Roll the proofed dough into 1/2 inch thick,using a rolling pin.Use round cutters and cut the dough into doughnuts. Take another cutter, smaller than the first one and make holes in the middle. The cutters should be floured to prevent them from sticking with the dough.
* Strain the cooked doughnuts on a paper towel.Let it shed out excess oil.Now when the douhgnuts are still warm, sip in the glazes and keep them on a tray.Sprinkle some confetti and serve.
Verdict :I will never ever buy doughnuts from shop !!!.This was a fool proof recipe. It was too good to eat it with the glaze.As you can see, the doughnuts were so fluffy and soft.
* Don't add hot milk to the flour, then the yeast will die.
* Proofing has to be done in a warm place.I kept it in my oven ,with just the light on.
* Don't roll the dough too thin, then the doughnuts will become crisp.
* Don't cook the doughnuts in hot oil, then the inner will be raw and the outer part would have become black.
* The original recipe called for shortening, which I replaced with butter. ,
* We can also refrigerate the doughnuts and thaw them to room temperature, when we are about to fry. This is apt, when we prepare the doughnuts in the night and refrigerate.Take them out, bring it out and fry.But I prepared them and fried them the same day.
* If the work area is not floured properly, then the dough will stick to the surface and you will not get a properly shaped doughnuts.
Linking this to "Friendship 5 Series" started by "Geetha Achal" and Savitha Ramesh.