Ras Malai is a bengali dish and its a slightly different from rasagullas.Rasa malais are milk soaked rasagullas.I came to know this recipe from my friend saras and referred it from "Manjula's Kitchen" .It was a hit and went well for my party.We can use half & half milk,but I prefer to use whole milk ,boiled in low flame.This gives the sweet a strong flavour.
1.Rasagullas - 8
2.Milk - 4 cups
3.Sugar - 1 cup
4.Pistas - 1 tsp
* Check my post for preparing rasagullas.
* The only alteration is ,we have to shape it as vadai or cutlet ,instead of balls.
* Boil milk in a pan in medium flame.
* Milk shud reduce to 2 cups and also we can see 'malay' or paaladai started forming.
* Mix the milk continously as it shud not get burned.
* It will take minimum of half an hour , for the milk to condense.
* This slow boiling ,helps the milk to get its texture and taste.
* Now add sugar and mix well.chk the sweetness as rasgulla has its own sweetness,bcoz of the syrup.
* Take the rasgullas and gently press them to squeeze out excess sugar syrup.
* Genlty drop them into the thickened milk and let it boil for 4 mins.
* This helps the rasgullas to absorb milk quickly.
* Turn off the heat and garnish them with chopped pistas and cardamom pwdr.
* Serve them after refregerating.
Sending this dish to Aipi and Priya's Bookmarked Recipes
Linking this to torontview's Food Palette series White
For more sweet varieties go here
When u keep rasamalai in the fridge, it will further absorb moisture.U can also add some milk to bring it to ur preferred consistancy.