Sunday, November 21, 2010

Spicy Chana Kuruma

Chanas according to me, are messengers of  heaven.I love to have chana ,frequently.Today my Hubby gave me a challenge ,like he wanted to have a spicy chana kurma .He gave the rules as the gravy shud be colourful, thick,tangy and juicy...He told me that , if I do it as the way ,we have it in the hotels, then he will accept me as a good blogger.Hmmm ,a challenge to my blogging- Interesting .I took a oath that I shud never ever fail.As u all know me as a healthy food blogger, this challenge made me to relax some rules like ,usage of ghee.
So I planned to add plain red chilli pwdr for - color,purees of onion,tomato - for thickness ,sugar -to enhance the tangyness of the gravy.The outcome was extraordinary.My husband will never say good for any fine dish ( Errrrrrrr).He will say ok (this is his maximum appreciation).But for this dish he gave me A-class.Wow....so it means I won the challenge....Appadi, I pat it myself.With a open heart and full stomach, I am giving  u my version of chana kuruma...

Ingredients:
1.Chana                   -        1 cup
2.Onion                   -         1 (big)
3.Tomato                -          1 (big)
4.Green chillies      -          2
5.G&G paste           -          1 tsp
6.Red chilli pwdr    -          1 tsp
7.Coconut                -           3 pieces
8.Curry leaves         
9.Cilantro.
10.sugar                   -            1 tsp

For Tempering:
1.Cinnamon              -           1 inch
2.Cloves                  -            3 to 4
3.Fennel seeds          -           1 tsp
4.Oil                         -            4  tbsp
5.Ghee                       -            1 tbsp (optional)

Method:
* Wash and soak chana overnight.
* Pressure cook it for 3 whistles.
* Chop half the onion and 1 chilli.Grind the other half with the remaining chilli and coriander leaves.
* Grind tomato to a puree.
* Grind coconut with half spoon of fennel seeds.
* Take a hand ful of cooked chana and grind it into a paste. ( This will give thickness to the kurma.)
* Now take a pan,add oil, ghee and splutter with whole garam masalas.
* saute the chopped onion and slit green chilli ,sprinkling some salt.
* When onion is half cooked,dump in the grinded ( Onion-green chilli-coriander) paste.
* Saute till it oozes out oil.
* Now add tomato puree and sprinkle some salt.
* Add G&G paste and saute well.
* When the tomatoes are cooked, add turmeric pwdr,chilli pwdr and giv it a toss.
* Wait till the raw smell goes off, now add the cooked chana and mix well.
* when chana gets a blend with the masala, add grinded chana paste and giv it a mix.
* Let the curry comes to a boil , and let it thicken to some extent.
* Now pour the coconut paste and turn off the stove within 3 minutes.Adjust salt to taste.
* Sprinkle sugar and mix well  .( This gives the dish a unique taste).
* Garnish with cilantro and serve with hot chapathis,pooris,parottas.....


This dish was a super duper hit in my family.I prepared a huge amount ,aiming to have the next day,but in vain.We both emptied the bowl so quickly...ha ha ha...Happy eating..
Channa Masala

10 comments:

Shanavi said...

Inviting colours and a good yet simple reecipe..will try de savi

Priya Sreeram said...

glad u proved urself to be a great blogger---smashing recipe~!

Unknown said...

Thank u shanavi..
@ s priya.an upcoming blogger thats it....

aipi said...

Chana is my favorite too and this looks fantastic..i like combo of ingredients you used..nice job here!

US Masala

Unknown said...

Hi Savitha,

The spicy channa kurma looks yummy dear...:)

Dr.Sameena@

http://www.myeasytocookrecipes.blogspot.com

Priya Suresh said...

Tats a very tempting spicy channa kurma, very inviting..

Unknown said...

Thank u gals.....

Cool Lassi(e) said...

Hello, Stumbled here from one other blog. Kurma looks splendid! Keep up the good work!

Pappu said...

the bright yellow colored curry looks awesome. very spicy n inviting kurma:)

Himani said...

Hi Savitha,
I have been a silent visitor for the past few months. I tried your spicy chana kurma last night and I have to say it is the best chana dish I've ever prepared. It turned out very tasty. I would always wonder how the restaurants get their thicker consistency for this dish. I am glad I figured that out with your help.
You have some wonderful recipes here
Keep blogging!!!

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...