In Southeastern parts of USA, it is believed that, eating black eyed pea,on new years's eve, brings good luck.This custom is 1500 years old.Also it has several nutritional values.I picked these ,when I went to a mexican shop.My veges are getting over, so I planned to do this curry.It came out really well .Give it a try, it will be too good.
1.Black eyed peas - 1 cup
2.Potato - 1
3.Onion - 1/2
4.Tomato - 1
4(a).Garlic - 4 to 5 pods
5.Chilli pwdr - 1 tbsp
5(a).Turmeric pwdr - 1 tsp
6.Coriander pwdr - 2 tbsp
7.Tamarind juice - 1 cup
8.Coriander leaves - few springs
1.Oil - 1/4 cup
2.Methi seeds - 1/2 tsp
3.Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
4.Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
5.Curry leaves - 1 spring
* Soak the peas over night.
* Wash and pressure cook black eyed peas for a whistle or boil till its half cooked and keep it aside.
* Chop onion,tomatoes ,cube potato and peel garlic pods.
* In a pan add oil, temper with methi seeds,cumin seeds and mustard seeds.
* Add onion , garlic and saute till onion becomes translucent.
* Always sprinkle some salt to onion, this makes onion to cook fast.
* Add potato and mix it with onion.
* Dump in the tomatoes and sprinkle some salt.
* When tomato gets mashed up, add chilli pwdr ,corainder pwdr,turmeric pwdr.
* Let all these masalas,loose their raw smell.
* Pour tamarind juice and bring it to boil.
* Now add the boiled black eyed pea to the gravy.
* Keep the pan in medium flame and let the gravy to thicken.
* Adjust salt to taste and turn it off.
* Add a tsp of ghee and close the lid.
* Garnish with cilantro and serve hot with rice.
We can also add coconut mlik to this curry, it will enhance the flavor.