Diwali gave me the oppurtunity to prepare vadai.I tried, believe me even my son started asking for vadai more and more.I am thankful for manju's mom,who gave me this secret.
1.Urad dal - 1 cup
2.Rice - 1 tbsp
3.Rava - 1 tsp
4.Green chillies - 4
5.Ginger - 1/2 inch
6.Onion - 1/2
* Wash and soak urad dal for 1 hour.
* Chop onion,2 green chillies ,curry leaves and cilantro.
* Grind urad dal,rice,ginger and remaining 2 green chillies into a fine batter.
* Try to add little water while grinding.
* Transfer the batter into a bowl and mix it well ,until it gives out bubbles.
* This mixing makes the batter fluffy.
* Add the chopped onion,green chillies,curry leaves and cilantro into the batter.
* At this point, add rava to the batter.This rava makes the vadai retain its crispness.
* Heat oil in a pan.
* Wet ur hand and place a ball of batter and pat it .
* Slowly drop it in oil.
* Fry the vadai in hot oil.
* Take the vadai out and wipe it off with tissue.
* serve with chutney or sambar.
Believe me this vadai will retain its crispness for atleast 2 to 3 hrs.