1.Chicken - 1 pound
2.Basmati rice - 2 cups
3.Onion - 1 ( big)
4.Tomatoes - 11/2 (big)
5.Green chillies - 5
5 (a)Chlli pwdr - 1 tbsp
5(b) G&G paste - 1 tbsp
6,Whole garam masalas ( 1 inch cinnamom stick,4 cardamoms,5 cloves,a pinch of jaadhikkai,few bayleaves)
7.Mint leaves - hand full
8.Cilantro - hand full
9.Ghee - 1/2 cup
10.Oil - 1/2 cup
* Wash and soak basmati rice for 15 mins
* Chop onion length wise and cut tomatoes into chunks.
* Slit green chillies.
* Wash and cut chicken .
* In a pressure cooker, add a tbsp of ghee and fry the soaked basmati rice ,till it turns slight yellow color.
* Dump in onion,green chillies and sprinkle some salt.
* When the onion becomes, translucent add tomatoes and sprinkle some salt.
* This makes tomato to cook fast.
* Now add chicken and toss it with G&G paste.
* Allow chicken to cook until it turns white color .
* Now add the chilli pwdr and mix well.
* Turn on the heat to high and make sure u cook chicken well,without any moisture.
( But dont over cook it)
* Now add 4 cups of water and bring it to boil.Now turn ur stove to medium low.
* Adjust salt to taste.
* Close the cooker ,after adding 1 tsp of ghee and cook it for 1 whistle.( this ghee will enhance the flavor)
* Turn the heat to low and keep in dhum for 15 mins.
* Remove the whistle and transfer immediately to another container.
* This makes the rice non-sticky.
* Garnish with remaining cilantro and serve with raitha.
I am thankful for my friends Sheena and Manju for teaching me this recipe, in my initial days of cooking.
I am sending this dish to Akila's event.
Also sending this recipe to Dr.Sameena's event