Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Secrets of soft idlis

Idlis and dosas are the staple food of south indian cuisine.Its the batter which matters a lot. The batter is a mixture of rice,urad dal,methi seeds and a secret ingredient.
                                                Guess wat? Yes it is Soya.
When we went for vacation this year to India , my MIL introduced , this secret ingredient to me.Soya makes idlis very soft. And it can also be used with wheat flour ,which makes chapathis softer. Soya is fat free also ,so why can't we give it a try.Believe me it works really good.

Does it look like jasmine flower ???

Ingredients:
1.Rice          -   4 cups
2.Urad dal   -    1 cup
3.Soy beans -    1 tbsp
4.Methi seeds-   1/4 tsp



Soy beans
 Method:
* Soak all the ingredients for 4 hrs and grind it in a grinder or mixie.
* Ferment the batter after adding salt for overnight or till it gets ferment.
* Cook idlis in idli cooker .
* Wow soft ,hot idlis are ready , just serve with hot chutney.


Our dinner

Note:
We can also add half cup of  poha or aval instead of soya,this also gives extraordinary effect to idlies.
Idly

6 comments:

Ramya said...

will try this..I bought soy after you suggested ...but never used it for my batter. will try

Shanavi said...

useful tip,..unusual ingredient, will buy this weekend and try for sure..

Unknown said...

My Mil's tip, i tried her idlis and chapathis, it wud be super soft.Then only i bought it from india.

Anonymous said...

Hi Savitha

I tried your recipe. Idhlis came out very soft, thanks a lot for sharing your MIL's tips with us. God bless you!

rajee said...

Hi Savitha

This is my first mail to you.

I am just wondering for soft idli's add soy bean with urad dhal or with rice to soak and grind. It will be helpful. thanks.
my email is rajee000@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

This is my first time go to see at here and i am genuinely happy
to read everthing at alone place.

My site ... http://kagirohi.net/

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...