Vatha Kuzhambu is an authentic Brahmin dish. Where it has fried sundakkai or manathakkali vathal , hence has the name. It is delicious and it has mixed flavors like , sweetness,sourness and bitterness . All mixed at right proportion.There is a famous saying that 'vatha kuzhambu goes well with sutta appalam or roasted appalam'.
2.Vathal ( any) - 1/2 cup
3.Garlic - 5 to 6 pods
4.Multi purpose pwdr - 2 tbsp
5.Tamarind juice - 1 cup
6. Mustard - 1 tsp
7.Cumin - 1 tsp
8.Methi seeds - 1 tsp
9.Jaggery - 1 tbsp
* Check my multi purpose pwdr in my previous post. Take the basic one, with no coconut or sesame.
* Take a pan and pour sesame oil and cooking oil in equal proportion.
* Temper with cumin seeds,mustard ,methi and curry leaves.
* Add the sundakkai vathal and let it fry for some time.
* When it looses it color, add the onions. ( Dont chop the shallots).Sprinkle salt and turmeric pwdr.
* Add the garlic into the mixture and saute it well.
* When the onion oozes oil, pour the tamarind extract .
* Bring it to a boil and add the multipurpose pwder.
* Add the jaggery, this gives the dish a unique taste. ( Dont add too much) .
* Turn off the stove when it oozes out oil.
* Garnish with cilantro and serve with hot rice and sutta appalam.